Preparing for Civil Services
The Civil Services Exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) across India. Preparation for the most coveted service requires a focused mind, dedication, and hard work.
You should be a graduate in any discipline from a recognized university.
The Civil Services Examination consists of two successive stages:
- Preliminary Examination – It consists of two papers (General Studies and one of the optional subjects to be selected from the prescribed optional subjects list) of objective type carrying a maximum of 450 marks.
- Main Exam (Written subjective & Interview) – It consists of the following exams carrying a maximum of 2300 marks.
- Paper I: One of the Indian Languages
- Paper II: English
- Paper III: Essay
- Paper IV and V: General Studies
- Paper VI-IX: Any two subjects (each having 2 papers) to be selected from the prescribed optional subjects
The Question Papers are set in English and Hindi. You must begin preparations of the main exam along with preliminary exam. You can even enroll in institutes like Rau's IAS Circle, Vajiram and Ravi. This is because there is little time for the Main exam if you wait for the results of the Preliminaries.
To begin with you should consult NCERT books and go through previous year papers. A candidate is permitted 4 attempts at the examination. If you appear in the Preliminary Exam or even appears in one paper, it is counted as an attempt.